Its time to wrap up the Third Annual Great Mission Statement Competition.
The winner of the Great Mission Statement prize for 2012 is Literacy Advance of Houston with a mission of Transforming lives and communities through the doorway of literacy. As discussed in the previous post, this statement captures the essence of the organization in nine vivid and memorable words. Moreover, a level of mission-based engagement is indicated in the comments submitted to the posting of finalists. All of our finalists, and semifinalists, as well as many others, have excellent and effective statements, but the third annual prize goes to Literacy Advance of Houston.
Weve also selected ten of the entries to the Mission Statement Makeover category to see if we can help them to reshape their mission statements to make them vivid, compelling and memorable. Well be sharing the before and after statements in a future post.
For others looking to improve their statements, here are some potentially useful resources:
- Critical Issues #7: On Mission
- Archived webinar: Whats a Mission Statement Worth?
- Great Mission Competition:
- Third Annual Competition Finalists, 2012:
- Finalists in the 2nd Annual Great Mission Statement Competition
- Finalists in the 1st Annual Great Mission Statement Competition
- Mission Statement Makeover Discussion 2011: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- An ongoing discussion/debate with Marlene Oliviera on her blog about the proper nature and use of mission statements :
- An upcoming guest appearance on Dalya Massachis monthly conference call program, Writing Wednesdays
We are SO excited here at Literacy Advance! Thank you so very much!ReplyDelete
Here we are celebrating on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151262438952893&set=a.187163152892.127436.31910567892&type=1&theater
Having a vivid and compelling mission statement can launch a company toward success like nothing else. This is especially true if the entire organization understands and lives the mission statement every single minute of every day. Nice to see a competition encouraging companies to create these statements and create a vision that the entire company buys into.ReplyDelete